In Issue 37, the January/February, 2009, publication of Relevant Magazine, page 24, Brett McCracken, the managing editor for Biola University magazine, wrote an article entitled "The Problem of Pride in the Age of Twitter".
I am 44 years old. I grew up in the 1970's and 1980's, long before the days of personal computers, the Internet (formerly known as the World Wide Web), e-mail, e-commerce and cellphones (formerly known as the mobile or bag phone). Our television only received the three networks, CBS, ABC and NBC, and I remember when,
"In the early days of network television, when TV was becoming more popular, local affiliate stations increased broadcast air times during the day to make more money. They soon began producing their own programming. These stations were like hectic, little miniature movie studios. Remember, everything was live. Even the station announcer was sitting by a microphone. They usually started broadcasting live at around six or seven o'clock in the morning, and ended around midnight. They did not have syndicated reruns in those days, so they would produce their own morning and children's shows along with the news. During the day they would produce live game shows, dance shows, play old movie films, whatever, ending with the local evening news. Then they would switch broadcast to what their network was showing, maybe finishing off with another newscast, and usually ending broadcast with the Star Spangled Banner, then a test pattern with tone."
(http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/652021/careers_in_television_and_video_how.html?cat=31)
Several years ago, when the Internet first began(?), the religious sect I was a part of began preaching and teaching that the Internet was "of the devil and hell" when several brothers began struggling with online pornography.
In his article, McCracken claims that we are becoming "addicted to a strange sort of connectivity-a connectivity that maintains a comfortable balance between distance and proximity, anonymity and overexposure . . . . . to hyper-controlled, self-appointed, 'just how I like it' communication . . . . . endowed with the ability to be even more self-obsessed than ever before." He continues to describe such networks as MySpace, Facebook, and blogs, YouTube, and other technologies.
Unlike the teachings of the sect and McCracken, I disagree that we as a society can only respond to today's rapidly evolving technologies as addicitons. I believe that we as a society, yes, even those who are and claim to be Christians, can, instead of becoming mere addicts, understand these technologies to be only what they are: tools. Like a hammer can be used to put holes through walls, it can also be used to drive nails and build a home.
Matt Chandler, lead pastor and teacher of The Village Church in Highland Village, TX, in 2007, led a Bible study series on biblical manhood and masculinity entitled, "In the Image and Glory of God". In it, he discusses observing the Sabbath, where he mentioned the use of technology and we Americans' dependency on it. I own an iPhone. I believe that it's a matter of the heart, but also a matter of self-discipline. I "work" (play) with my iPhone during my breaks at work and when I am ALONE. When I am with people (I call those times "meetings" and "engagements", I turn the ringer OFF and ONLY consult my iPhone when the other party and I are attempting to find a movie, place to eat, or scheduling another meeting time/appointment.
We as Christians can use and work with technology as long as begin and continue to see it as it is: tools which have and can be used to further His kingdom. Today, I am able to communicate and encourage my fellow brothers who are missionaries in foreign countries overseas without incurring high long-distance bills. I even have the capability of immediately responding to urgent financial requests. I also have the ability to immediately communicate with my Compassion child in Ethiopia and keep up with his growth and school grades.