Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Typical Weekend for Me

With my having to awaken and arise between 0415-0430 on the weekday (thank you, Lord, and Lew Wallace, for the invention of the snooze button!) to ride the DART light rail and bus to work, I have chosen to make the attempt to "catch up on my z's" on the weekends by sleeping in. For the average person, this appears to be 10 or 11 AM, whereas for me, it looks like 7 or 8, with the exceptional noon or 1. Most times, I set my second alarm (I have a his-and-her alarm clock)


to 0800 (to insure that I don't sleep through most of the day, thus "wasting it". 

Rant: I have found a few other alarm clocks during my research on the inventor of the snooze button (betcha you were wonderin' where I found that [Hint: Google]!). First alarm clock was the Oregon Scientific RM313PNA Self-Setting Projection Clock (silver), which is an atomic clock with precise self-setting capabilities that projects the time on a wall or ceiling. The next clock was another projection clock which looked like it should be levitating in the air above your head! 


Lastly, this alarm clock looked just plain fun, as it jumps off the table "looking" for a place to hide so that you have to find it in order to turn off the alarm! DEFINITELY a way to get an a physical work-out first thing in the morning! 


[END OF RANT]


Okay, so, back to my blogpost. 


Since I am trying (within human strength!) to observe/translate my version of the Sabbath (no, I'm not Jewish not that there's anything wrong with that, I try to do as little [that requires an enormous amount of thinking] as possible on the weekend (with the tiny exception of laundry; who has time to do so in the evening?


When I first awaken, I spend a few minutes in the bathroom, while which I may take either or both my iPhone (yes, Pastor Matt, I am one of those who checks my email and weather in the WC!) and an ESV Bible (nodding toward Pastor Matt). Depending on how long it takes to "take care of my business", I will read my daily Bible reading (thanks, Dr. Horten!); if not, I make a note to finish later*. Once I'm finished with my "business", I begin "planning my day".


The first thing I do is stack my two pillows (yes, I sleep with one underneath my head and one between my legs my chiropractor said it's good for my back! ), one in-front-of-the-other at the headboard (one pillow isn't enough cushioning for my back!). Then, I straighten the bedsheet and fleece blanket a little. Then, I walk around to the other side of the bed, move the powercord onto the bed, my Apple MacBook, and my iPhone. I disconnect my iPhone from its powercord (I plug it in overnight to recharge!), and turn it (the iPhone) off, then on again (I was told that this renews it's call-receiving priority [T-Mobile]). 


Once I return to the other side of the bed (I sleep and sit on the left side), I begin gathering the following items for my day of rest: my ESV Bible, another book to read (at the time of this blogpost, it's Stephenie Meyer's Twilight Saga's New Moon), the graph Composition book I use for note-taking during worship (and it also contains my version of Dr. Horten's monthly Bible-reading program), any other book (today, it's David N. Steele and Curtis C. Thomas' The Five Points of Calvinism: Defined, Defended Documented and another Mead Composition book containing notes I took at The Village from April, 2004, to April 6, 2008) and the television remote control.


Then, I peel back the bedsheet and fleece blanket and crawl underneath them, placing my legs straight there and my back against the pillows. It is from this position I can surf the Internet (which usually has tabs open to my Facebook account, my GMail (email) account and my Yahoo! (email) account), read, watch television and "monitor" the iPhone for incoming messages and other applications. 


*Note: Later means "once I've gotten into bed".


And, before you ask, I typically don't write a blog first thing on a weekend morning!