Thursday, January 08, 2009

Stephen Myshrall


I first met Stephen Myshrall (known to most of his friends as "Mysh") in or around April, 2004, while visiting the campus of DCC. He was a freshman. As always, I am curious as to how students learn of DCC, as the college has virtually no advertisements, printed or otherwise, and what church backgrounds from which they hail. Mysh proudly* professed he was Baptist, which I found a little odd, as my knowledge of Baptists** was not without fault.

As my visits to the campus became more frequent, so did my fellowship with Mysh. Besides God, I credit a lot of where I am today spiritually to my friendship with Mysh. During our visits, he not only re-introduced me to the theology of John Calvin but also the sovereignty of God, theology itself and The Village Church. But most importantly, he introduced to me to concept (for lack of a better word) of love and desire to bringing glory to God.

One Saturday afternoon, Mysh invited me to attend worship service at a church in Highland Village called The Village Church. With my recent dealing of a new church 12 years previously***, I was a little skeptical but felt like with Mysh, I would be "safe" (remember: at this time, I was not as dependant on God!).

After the short drive there, we entered the sanctuary of this seemingly little country church building, which must've seated about 450 (+/-) and a very small parking lot with an unpaved grassy area for overage parking(!). The ushers were extremely helpful and friendly.**** As the sanctuary filled, I sensed that there was more to this church than mere lip service or a service. But when Matt Chandler took the stage after a lively song service, after the initial shock of unapologetic teaching (and later, several weeks of email exchanges with him!), I was more than hooked into allowing God to work through these believers in my healing of past church abuse.

Over the years, Mysh and I became very close friends and confidants in our triumphs, challenges, struggles and defeats. He demonstrates what Christians should be: loving, sincere, fun and truthfully honest. We have prayed together, cried together, laughed and eaten together and through it all, Mysh has always demonstrated his true, first love: Jesus. I will always be thankful and grateful for his influence (and His influence through Mysh) in my life.

Currently, Mysh is married to a beautiful young lady named Kelly and they are expecting (?) their first child. Mysh currently serves His Lord as the Senior Pastor of Greencastle Baptist Church in Greencastle, PA.

God bless you, Stephen, in your work and life. You are loved.

*Not to confused with the sin of pride!
**That's for another blog post.
***Read my profile.
****It was at one of these services where I met Brandon Jung, of whom I will honor in a later blog post.