
I chose to write about "Schlackman" first, not because he was the first friendship I made (sorry, Bryan!), but because (and you'll see this when should you ever meet him) of his heart for and desire to serve God and His Kingdom. You see, Bryan is about to embark on a walking trek from San Diego, California, through Georgia with Daren Wendell from January 5 through May, after which he will be heading to Scotland and walking through Ireland, England, the Netherlands, Belgium, France, Spain and through Portugal (check out www.theearthexpedition.com for more information). So, in a few days, he'll be leaving and might not be near the Internet to read this. So, here we go:
I first met Bryan Schlackman on the campus of Dallas Christian College a little over four years ago. He always seem to have his electric guitar (I have NO idea it was a bass or what!) on his lap and couldn't make it through a conversation without multiple bouts of air guitar! Unfortunately, most of our conversations were scattered between his classes, homework, marathons and his jobs. We both tried to get together and get better acquainted but life and school got in the way.
I got the opportunity to FINALLY sit down with Bryan (I confess: I was in panic mode because I knew the window was getting smaller with his walking expedition coming up!) and, while, yes, there might possibly have been other occasions after his expedition ended in September, 2009, I have had the experience of realizing that life is short and to MAKE time when opportunity strikes! So, I did and he picked me up from the DART Parker Road Transit Center, then we sent out to eat at Panda Express, then had coffee at a nearby Starbucks. After our conversation, I had immediate regrets that I had not more aggressively pursued my friendship with Bryan during the previous four years!
Bryan has a compassionate heart for others. Recently, he spent the summer of 2007 in China teaching ESL. In reading his journal he kept there, I read of his love for the students, his humility in some of his personal struggles and his love for His Lord.
As we spoke over Chinese food and coffee, we shared with each other our own struggles in doing life with Christ and his goals (I've lived most of my life already!). I enjoyed his company, his wit and humor, his warm smile and sensitive heart.
Bryan, may God continue to bless you in your walk with The Earth Expedition, your dreams and goals, and your heart for Him.
