I have seen "Christian"* movies all of my life, from Jim Schmidt's "Super Christian" (1980), to the original movie, "Most" (I don't know and can't find the original movie), to Kirk Cameron's movie, "Left Behind", M. Night Shyamalan's "Signs" (okay, only I consider it a Christian movie), Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ", C. S. Lewis' "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe" and "Prince Caspian" and Cameron's most recent, "Fireproof". When I go to see these movies, I keep hoping that one day, I will be pleased with the movie and that it will be seen and appreciated by many viewers.
It seems that, for reasons unknown, most "Christian" movies I have seen have been, well, less than exceptional. The plots seem shallow, the acting cheesy and overall, resulting in low audience turnout and box office revenue. Why? I have a few ideas.
Yes, I understand that the ultimate purpose of "Christian" movies is not for financial gain but to be a witness for Him to others and to bring glory to God through the effort.
I guess my questions now begin with: How, with all the training that I believe that most of these actors have received, can the acting be so cheesy? And who's writing the scripts? Who's directing?
I believe that, not only are the movies not bringing in the revenues or the audiences, but the lack of quality is causing more of the opinion that Christians can not act, produce or direct movies. Eventually, the world will completely stop viewing our movies, which will ultimately result in wasted effort, time and finances, sacrificially given my hard-working and well-meaning Christians.
While, yes, I too agree that "you can't make your fifth movie first" and that, eventually, "Christian" film making will be on the rise.
Isaac, PLEASE use the God-given talent you have and, like your brothers, do something INCREDIBLE in the Christian film industry.
John Moore, I look forward to "The Widow's Might" and other "Christian" films, in the hope that excellence will be achieved, lives changed and God and His name will be glorified.
*Note: I place quotation marks (" ") around the word Christian because movies cannot become saved. I use the phrase "Christian" to denote its theme.
