[Child's name] cried histerically today because I cut his nails... He screamed.... "I don't want my nails cut... I can't pick my boogers when my nails are cut."
When I first read the above quote from a Facebook account holder's Status Update, I laughed and thought it was funny and cute. But overnight, my brain manufactured a thought with which I awoke this morning and had to share.
With all the H1N1 legitimaticy and media hype over the past several months, I cannot help but wonder if people are cleaning underneath their finger nails! I've watched most of all the CSI television shows, forensic files and have heard about DNA scrapings most of my adult life. But the above quote got me to thinking, while we have been almost obsessively washing our hands with either/both hand sanitizer and antibacterial soaps after EVERY sneeze and almost literally touching ANYTHING (have we almost completely become a germophobic society?!), are ALL of our hands, including UNDER our nails, getting clean?
I've been somewhat fortunate to have been "gifted" with a birth defect called Nail Patella Syndrome, which affects my finger- and toe-nails, causing them not to grow normally (not even long enough to reach the ends of my fingers!), but I have to keep the nail portion and the cuticles trimmed to prevent them from snagging on clothing. While it isn't painful, I don't have to worry about DNA, since again, there's no room "under" the nail!
So, again, I wonder, are our hands REALLY clean these days? Maybe a more regular trimming of the nails ISN'T a bad idea (and, DON'T FORGET to clean under those nails!)!
