Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Gun Ownership

This past weekend, I spent some time with a friend of mine who is currently a police officer. He showed me his Glock and a rifle. Since that time, I have wrestled with a subject that previously, I had merely dismissed. That subject? Gun ownership.

I grew up with a stepfather who believed in the second amendment to the United States Constitution: ". . . the right of the people to keep and bear arms . . .", subscribed to The American Rifleman magazine and was a member of the National Rifleman's Association and owned a few guns.

I have lived out on my own since age 18 when I went away to Bible college in Dallas, Texas. Since then, I have never been in a situation where I believed that my life was threatened in such a way which would necessitate to "keep and bear arms".

A question my friend asked was, "Do you own a gun?" I answered, "No." He responded, "Why not?" Of course, from his mindset as a police officer, citizens should be equipped to protect themselves. From my perspective, as I have previously stated, I haven't felt the need.

This morning, I awoke with the thoughts of how very permanent a bullet's damage can do to the human body; how very terminal if it penetrated through certain internal organs; how very slow death would come if a person bled out while the police were on their way in response to a 9-1-1 call. And, how I would have to watch that person die; how would I be able to cope with that later? Someone at work today said, "Well, better you got counseling than dead."

So, the inner struggle within continues . . . thankfully, both the finances and the real desire to purchase a gun are VERY LACKING!