I recently got pulled over because I had allowed my vehicle registration to expire and had not gotten it renewed. Now, getting it renewed was EASY (and it didn't require any time wasted standing in line or ANY security protocols), but I didn't imagine that paying the fine (that's me, the defendant, paying money to the police department!) would become such an ordeal. What do I mean? Let me describe today's experience:
Once I finally found the Plano Municipal Court building. Upon approaching the building from the northside, you'll notice pillars flanked by two sets of glass doors. I remembered a few years ago I had to pay a fine and had paid it behind the doors on the left. I also remembered that I had had to fill out some paperwork then behind the doors on the right.
Another defendant also made the observation that the pay windows were on the left, so we both stopped before entering the glass doors and we both proceeded to the doors on the left. After entering the double pair of VERY unlocked doors and proceeded to stand in one of five lines in front of five windows, one of the ladies behind of the windows loudly asked which number we had. I had no clue to what she was referring and replied so. Well, then we were told that we had to go through security.
Well, it would have been less convenient had there been any signage indicating that defendants were required to go through security! (No duh!) So, we exited the left doors and went back and through the doors on the right.
So, we stood in line behind a desk to make known our intentions there (for me, it was to pay a citation for vehicle registration expiration), given a number and THEN I was directed to go through the security protocol (think: airport security, where you have to empty ALL your pockets and removing your watch and cellphone into a plastic tray which is then placed onto a conveyor belt through an x-ray machine, then you walk through a metal detector, hoping that you don't have metal on!). Heck, just going through the security area is a deterrent to crime!
Well, after it was determined that I wasn't a threat to anyone in the building, I re-loaded my pockets and was directed to the pay windows to stand in line for another 10 minutes!
HEY, PLANO MUNICIPAL COURT: Put up some freaking signs, directing those of us attempting to pay our fines, that the check-in desk and security areas are the first destinations!
So, our tax dollars at work (or, in this case, NOT at work!)
