Thursday, December 18, 2008

A funny thing happened at the office today

Okay, so I was in the men's bathroom at work, in one of the two stalls. There was a knock on the entrance of the bathroom; one of the building maintenance ladies was wanting to maintain the bathroom (refill empty toilet paper and towel dispensers, refill antibacterial soap dispensers and empty the trash). 

In our former location, whenever the female building maintenance staff members wanted to maintain the bathroom, we would identify that the bathroom was occupied and they would wait until the bathroom was empty, then return to maintain the bathroom. 

Well, apparently, this rule doesn't apply in the new building! So, I'm sitting there and she's announced herself. I respond with the word, "occupied", thinking that she would understand (she's Hispanic) and come back later. No, didn't happen! Instead, she continues into the bathroom, enters the stall next to mine (I'm in the extra large handicapped one because the one she was in had been previously occupied just minutes before!) and begins to refill the toilet paper dispenser (she even dropped the toilet paper roll holder, which fell and rolls into my stall, where I kicked it back, she apologizes with "Sorry") and then leaves the bathroom. I just sat there, thinking, "This is awkward!" 

Fortunately, I was able to talk to our company's facility manager and learn that a conversation would transpire to prevent such an awkward situation from re-occurring!