Sunday, September 28, 2008

A Few Observations from Television Advertising

Okay, I admit it. I watch television. Not a lot, mind you, (okay, I watch "Heroes", "Kyle XY", all the CSI's, "Fringe") but enough to catch some of the advertising. 

Have you noticed all the automobile advertisements? It seems that more and more cars are being made with luxury features like leather seats, heated seats, push-button ignition, remote unlock (as you approach the car!), sun roofs, OnStar, moving headlights, just to name a few. Now, while I can understand someone wanting these luxuries for a car that they would drive ALL DAY, what about those of us who only drive to and from work, church and the grocery store? I mean, are all those luxuries REALLY necessary for those 30 minute trips? 

I guess I'm looking for the stripped-down model for the everyday use. 

And, let's think about it: does ANYONE want to spend SO MUCH time in their car to really appreciate those aforementioned luxuries? I know I don't, unless I plan on living and sleeping in it!