Monday, June 22, 2009

Fellowship with The Village Church pastors

The following thoughts and expressions are solely mine and NOT those of the staff, employees, or members of The Village Church.

I was first introduced to The Village Church in April, 2004, having been invited to a Saturday night service by a student of Dallas Christian College. After about a year, I decided that this was where I wanted (and desperately needed!) community and intentionally registered for and attended the Covenant Membership Class and successfully signed the covenant.

During the class, I heard and learned that, unlike the previous smaller church in which I was raised and a slightly larger one I attended while attending Bible college, I would not have the direct access to the ministers/pastors to which I had grown accustomed. At first hearing, this greatly disturbed me. While I had only taken advantage of that closeness (and in that, to communicate that I would be regularly attending and covenanting with The Village), it still felt . . . distant. My fallen human side of me railed against such a seemingly distance between the "clergy and the laity" (and, yes, there was a little anger there!).

Over the years, tho, as I have seen The Village grow (there's got to be a better word in English for "grow": EXPLODED!), I have softened and come to realize the reasoning behind such a separateness between our beloved pastors and we, the covenanted members and regular attendees.

First, looking at Scripture, we see that Jesus was only really close to the three, James, John and Peter. While, yes, there were purportedly 500 disciples (last count just before His ascension), He was closest to the Three.

I believe that the hearts of Matt, Josh, and Michael would so much like to sit down with several of us over a cup of coffee and minister us directly. However, looking at our current numbers (1000+ covenant members, 6000 weekend attendance) and their own individual families which needed their love and guidance, how CAN we expect them to serve us in their fullest capacity otherwise?

Secondly, we at The Village Church, have pastors for each of the six zones. Now, initially (that Fallen human side of me!), I felt a little put-off by that, but now realize that, these shepherding pastors are of the same caring, loving heart of Christ that is demonstrated every week by Matt, Josh and Michael!

I would like to encourage you (and me as well!) to schedule some time to meet with your zone pastor over a cup of coffee and get to know them. They are a source that we can ill afford to NOT take advantage!