Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Justice, Plain and Simple

Edmund Burke (1729-1797), the British statesman and philosopher, once said, "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Today, I have witnessed this and could no longer allow injustice to reign on our city transit bus. 

Over the past few weeks, we have had two riders who have misbehaved badly. The first gentleman has been riding for years and has developed the habit of "cutting" to the front of the line for his connecting bus, which is the express bus from one of the park-and-rides to another transit center. The other gentleman is a little older in age, is a relatively new rider and two weeks ago, verbally assaulted the first gentleman, with finger in his face, shouted, "Just who do you think YOU are to go to the front of the line?!" Well, for the past two weeks, the second gentleman has been quietly fuming about the situation. Until today . . . Today, the first gentleman had boarded the bus and had taken a seat at the front. The second gentleman, after boarding the bus, as he began to walk down the aisle, purposely (I saw this!) struck the second gent in the face with his backpack on this back, then, overdramatically said, "Oh, excuse me!" then continued walking down the aisle! 

GOOD GRIEF! It boiled me over inside . . . what is this world coming to? I decided then that I had to take action before this escalated further. When I arrived at the office, I called the city transit police and reported what had happened. They made the suggestion that I report it to the driver immediately if it should happen again, who will in turn notify the police via silent alarm, who will meet the bus at the next transit center. There, I will file my report and press charges. 

I must confess: I have no ever done this type of thing before. A coworker warned that the report of pressed charges would become a matter of public record and that I might in danger of reprisal. While I am strangely not concerned with that, I am more concerned about insuring that justice is served, plain and simple. 

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."